Freedom Pass for people with MS

If MS affects your mobility, you could be allowed to travel for free on the bus, Underground, Docklands Light Railway (DLR), trams and National Rail in London.

It takes a little bit of effort to get a Freedom Pass, but could be worth it for the money you could save and the freedom to travel anywhere in London.

How do you get a Freedom Pass?

It depends what London borough you live in.

  • For people in Harrow, visit the Harrow Council website or call them on 020 8901 2680 and ask to apply for ‘concessionary travel’.
Freedom Pass for disabled people

Example Freedom Pass for disabled people, mocked up for

In general, to get a Freedom Pass you need to:

  1. Get a letter of authorisation from your borough.
  2. Take the letter and two forms of ID (details below) to a Post Office and fill in the Freedom Pass application form.

Some boroughs, like Harrow, handle the second part for you.

Note: if you were born on or before 5 May 1951, you can get an older persons’ Freedom Pass even if MS does not affect your mobility. (Some people born between 1951 and 1955 could also get one — check if you are allowed.)

How do you get a letter of authorisation from your borough?

To get a letter of authorisation from your borough, you need to prove to them that one of these is true:

  • Your MS has a long-term effect on your walking ability.
  • Your MS has caused a long-term loss in the use of both arms.
  • If you tried to get a driving licence, they would refuse to give you one because of your disability, and not because of any other reason.
  • You are receiving the higher rate of the mobility part of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

(There are some other disabilities — like blindness or learning difficulties — which also mean you can get a Freedom Pass, but they are less common in people with MS.)

If one of the above is true for you, you need to contact the borough where you live. They will tell you how to get a letter of authorisation from them for a Freedom Pass.

How do you contact your borough?

For people in Harrow, visit the Harrow Council website or call them on 020 8901 2680.

Follow other London boroughs, follow the link or call the number for the borough where you live:

What do you do after you have got a letter of authorisation?

Your borough should have told you what you need to do next. Some of them will help you to get the Freedom Pass.

If they don’t, you have to personally take the letter to the Post Office — you cannot send someone else to do it for you.

You also need to take proof of identity, proof of address, and one (or sometimes two) passport-size photos. The Post Office will give you an application form for the Freedom Pass. You can fill it in there and hand it back to the Post Office to process.

What proof of identity do you need to take to the Post Office?

You must bring at least one of these as proof of identity:

  • Current passport
  • Medical card
  • Birth certificate (unless your name has changed)
  • Current driving licence
  • Letter of pension entitlement

What proof of address do you need to take to the Post Office?

  • Current council tax bill/letter/payment book
  • Current council/housing association rent book/statement/letter
  • Current television licence

You can also use these as proof of address, but  they must be dated within the last 3 months:

  • Gas/water/electricity bill (not mobile phone bill)
  • Bank statement/building society statement
  • Credit card statement
  • HM Revenues and Customs letter
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) letter
  • Occupational pension letter