Harrow MS Therapy Centre is seeking people or companies interested in putting together a team for this year’s charity fundraiser MS Challenge in the Brecon Beacons!
What is the MS Challenge?
- The MS Challenge is a charity fundraising event organised by MS National Therapy Centres, the umbrella organisation of which Harrow MS Therapy Centre is a member.
- Teams of 10 to 12 people accept the challenge to carry a person with MS around a demanding course in a wheelchair. The challenge raises awareness of MS, as well as raising funding for each participating MS Centre through team sponsorship.
- It is perfect for a team-building company day out or groups of fit people looking for a gruelling but rewarding physical challenge.
Where and when is it taking place?
- This year’s challenge is taking place on Saturday 22 June 2013 at Pant-y-Rhiw Royal Navy Adventure Centre, Talybont-on-Usk, Brecon Beacons, Wales.
What is the object of the MS Challenge?
- The object of the MS Challenge is for a team of 10 to 12 people, plus one “passenger” with MS, to complete an orienteering course of approximately 10 miles on Forestry Commission Land in the Brecon Beacons. Each team must cooperate and coordinate its members to carry the person with MS in a wheelchair across the course. (Wheelchair carrying frames are provided.)
- This gives the person with MS the chance to enjoy an outdoor activity which is not normally available to him/her, while at the same time helps raise much needed funds for the team’s MS Therapy Centre.
- The event is not a race and there are no prizes for first place! The object is to safely complete the course with your passenger, and raise as much money as you can for Harrow MS Therapy Centre.
- Safety is paramount. Royal Navy personnel will be situated around the course to assist.
How do we enter a team and collect sponsorship?
- There is a team entry fee of £150, and teams can collect sponsorship collectively and/or on an individual team member basis.
- Get in touch with us and we will give you full details of the event, and provide you with sponsorship forms.
- If you’re taking part as a company, why not ask if they will match the sponsorship money you raise? You may be able to double your donation!
We do not personally know anyone with MS to be our passenger — can we still enter a team?
- Yes! We have many adventurous members of our Centre that would love to participate in the event, so we can put you in touch.
Is local accommodation available?
- Campsites are available around the village of Talybont at reasonable prices.
- There are a number of hotels, B&Bs and guesthouses within easy reach of the site, although they do get booked up very quickly.
- See the Visit Our Beacons website for more information and contact details.